Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't you believe in God?

Two ladies came knocking at my parents’ door this morning, distributing a leaflet about a talk by some holy man. Very politely, I declined, but the ladies did not take kindly to it. Why can’t you take it – demanded one loudly. I don’t need it – I replied, still polite. Don’t you believe in God??– she demanded in an accusing tone, even more loudly. What I believe or not believe is my business, I don’t ask you about your beliefs, so spare me mine - I replied, matching her tone this time. With a shake of her head, she went off.

Why is everyone so bent on making you believe in Parmatma – the One? Everyone from the stranger at the door to my own mother is upset with my Godlessness, even when, pardon my French, its no bloody business of theirs? If God does exist, I’m sure he doesn’t need the vote of someone who is skeptical about his existence to keep him in business – he enjoys an absolute majority anyways. Why then are his followers so caught up with not only convincing you about his existence, but also the superiority of their God, be he Hindu or Christian or Muslim or Jew? After all, I don’t go accusing people of God-ness when they choose to hook up un-authorized loudspeakers late into the night for a ‘paath’ (holy reading), or when they kill other people (many of whom are God-believers, incidentally) in the name of their God, and then think a holy dip in a freezing river or a grand yagna or pilgrimage will wipe clean all their sins (a belief perpetuated by the holy men who benefit by such ceremonies).

I do not feel compelled to convince people to not believe in God - one’s beliefs are a matter of personal choice, insofar as they do not violate the right of others to life and freedom. And not believing in a God is not the same as not having faith. True faith comes from within, and does not need to be shouted about, or killed for. If I can respect a believer even though I may not understand her, why is my *Godlessness* such a matter of discomfort for her?

1 comment:

Restlessilence said...

jaaaan.....its ok not to believe in God..i guess its jez in a country like ours where God is shown as someone you ought to believe in even though u dun really hav belief in him..but ill alwayz support you and accept you as you are...with or without ur faith in God....jez wanted 2 write sumthin 4 u...dats it....luv u di..a lot...:)