Monday, January 19, 2009

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

My dear X:

Thank you for wanting to wish me on my birthday. And for wishing me on new year's. And telling me about your vacation plans. And your reading list. And the name of your poodle.

And the name of your wife. And the link to her blog.

What exactly were you thinking? Was it a case of one upmanship, a so-what-if-you-write-so-does-she and look-what-a-kool-wife-I-got? If that's the case, good for both of you, says moi.

But if I know you (and I could be horribly mistaken here), this wasn't about scoring a point. So what, then? Possibly it was just a polite bringing-two-bloggers-together. But did you really think that I would visit the link, read her posts, drop her a note about her Wodehouse-ish wit or Kafka-esque insights? And she would reply in kind, one of us would invite the other for coffee, and we would soon become bossom buddies who would exchange notes on a myriad topics ranging from the best way to make prawn curry to how you are in bed? And we would all live happily ever after.

Of course. Except that you forgot to pay heed to Ms Parker's wise words : Shoot if you must, but hold in view; Women and elephants never forget.

3 comments:

Matt said...

This one was with a vengance. Sorry to barge in, but liked the honesty. You sure must have hit the nail right on the head and the best part... you seem to have placed it well too (right across the fruits of desperation).

The Line of Beauty said...

My My..Never seen this side of you before..and I am loving it :)
and the last line: priceless ( might I add gay men to the list too)

Hina said...

thanks Matt..i guess in matters of the heart, honesty is the best policy.

TLOB, u shud defi read the poetry of Dorothy Parker, im sure u'll love it! look forward to some posts on ure blog!