Tuesday, March 03, 2009

No Country for Western Wear

Amongst the many attractions of Bangalore when I first landed here five years ago was the security and freedom it offered to young, single women like me. This was especially true of Indiranagar, my adopted neighbourhood in the city. I could drive back from work at 3 or 4 in the morning, every day. I could walk back home after dinner at 10 pm, 11 pm or midnight. I could stop to rescue a puppy at 1 in the morning while driving the wrong way up a one way road. I did not have to think twice before booking the 10 pm movie show (heck, this has become my preferred movie show now!). I could hop into an auto at 11 pm, and be assured of safe delivery. All while wearing jeans (or a skirt) and a t-shirt. Unlike in Delhi, I was not constantly worrying about my safety - no longer did my environment remind me that I was vulnerable.

For the last four days, as I drive back from work, from the late night movie or from a late dinner at a friend's house, I seem to notice many more clumps of men hanging around street corners. Each time I see such a group, I clutch the steering tighter and reach our for my cell phone. If Im walking, I look downwards and quicken my pace. Will they think my jeans are too tight, my t-shirt too short? Or that my dress is inappropriate, unsuitable to Indian culture? Will they heckle me and humiliate me for forgetting my roots and values, even as a vast hoarde of my countrymen will speed past, ignoring my predicament, glad that their wives and daughters and sisters are safely at home?

And then we snigger at Pakistan ceding ground to the Taliban in Swat valley.

3 comments:

elina said...

All pigs are equal and yes, religious fundamentalism in the guise of the Taliban or the Saffron Brigade or Dollars For Conversion Christian sects, are to be abhored. Very belittling to be reminded that one's sex makes one the mistress of lack! and yes the fear is real and the fear is everywhere..Be it Mutalaik's hound dogs or robberies and murders which are negated by the police..Bangalore is the new Gotham and needs saving.

Anonymous said...

you are using a superb flow of language the way you have put your imagination in words is captivating.... needless to say wonderful i have tagged your site as a bookmark ! :-) keep it up !

Anonymous said...

agree with you absolutely!

Fundamentalists don't have a place in the 21st century. Their inability to appreciate people's freedom to choose their lifestyle is mind-boggling.

Ultimately, i classify the Sriram Sena with Raj Thackery - Class A cowards who exhibit bravery in vacuum.