Monday, December 19, 2005

Action Hero

Amazing how quickly your long pending items list gets resolved sometimes when you get down to tackling it : -) This Saturday was one such day for me. After days of agonizing, I finally made the earth shattering decision of which Broadband carrier to go with - hopefully I should get my Airtel connection by this Wednesday. Also, very very belatedly, dragged myself to Bajaj Capital to find out about investment options. If only I had not postponed this for the last 8 months, I cuda been sitting on a pile of profits. But no looking back in the rear view mirror for now. Picked up the sketches that I had given for framing - they have turned out quite nicely. and also hauled my poor car for getting the driving window and the stereo fixed - again after months of 'I'll go next Saturday'. After all this work, I felt I certainly deserved the Rum & Raisin ice cream at Corner House.

Of course finishing some work always leads to creation of new one. sigh. so now i have to decide on what investments to make. gawd. I dislike decisions that require deliberation and analysis. ask me to decide something instinctively, on the spot, in 2 seconds flat, and i shall be done. But give me 2 days, and i shall agonize over the pros and cons, most of them imagined. Give me 2 months for the decision, and I shall probably also create a Excel sheet with lots of information. And after all of this, the actual decision will still be made on 'gut feeling'.

By the way, I like the mechanic I took my car to. There is something in him that inspires my trust - I cant explain why. He gives you the feeling that he is not putting a fast one on you, that he genuinely wants to help you. And well, he is great with the car. You can make out his superiority by the way he snaps and barks orders at the junior mechanics helping him out. It is highly unlikely that he has been to school, leave alone college. I wonder how he picked up such awesome skills with the various electronic components of my car then, which I, a post graduate, fail to comprehend? And he is doing things that directly benefit his customers. Not creating some fancy business case and notional benefits and cost cases.

His coup de grace was delivered while he frowned over the recurring problem with the driving window of my poor Santro - Mercedes aur BMW ka parts jitna top class nahin hai. He is my hero for the masses.

1 comment:

Dr. Gonzo said...

I just KNOW what you mean. I haate and absolutely drag my case for small little things all my life, and feel them piling on my head, in my life, everywhere, and absolutely get weighed down till I can't move. I just spent a month in broken shoe-laces(what is the word for shoelaces that split in half? Broken,right?) coz I just couldn't get myself to go out and find shoelaces.

The same goes for the bulb in the toilet, my bathroom slippers, a jacket, just sooo many things!